Monday 6 April 2015

Spinning Harriet's Fleece.

Harriet's fleece has the tips of her lamb-hood.
It has been sorted into its colours,
White, grey, chocolate and black.
She would have been a cull,
But I took her home along with this first fleece.
She is a pure Merino.
Her fleece is fine.
It is sound and of good character.
Her wool will be soft.
Not the first choice of home spinners.
Who prefer first crosses with long staples and higher micron.
I don't care because I am learning.
I have spun alpaca and pre-carded, dyed batts of sheep's wool.
This is my first experience using the drum carder on raw fleece.
'Shuck, shuck, shuck' goes the treadle.
I become mesmerized by the repetitive actions of foot and hands.
Harriet's fleece is greasy and makes my skin soft with lanolin.
It spins fine.
I ponder how many threads I shall have to ply?
Will it break in the process? 
And what shall I make with her balls of wool?
'Shuck, shuck, shuck.'

No comments:

Post a Comment