Thursday 16 July 2015

Reading

We made a pact early in our relationship,
To share books.
Each night one would read to the other,
Turn in turn.
The arrangement was not long lasting,
For he would fall asleep.
So he does the reading,
And I enjoy the pictures in my head as I listen.
We spoon and I rest my head on his shoulder.
Chapter on chapter,
Memoir, Reference, Comedy or sometimes Romance.
We live together in the lives of the characters.
Discuss their problems and speculate their fates.
We can cry together over their misfortunes.
And laugh at their comedy,
Celebrate their successes.
Sometimes we read on late into the night.
Till at last he succumbs to fatigue.
I watch his eyes slowly blink,
Their heavy lids droop.
The words become slurred.
And the intervals lengthen.
And so near the end of a chapter.
I feel my disappointment grow.
It is only then,
When this happens,
That I wish he would just,
Let me read.

No comments:

Post a Comment