Wednesday 5 August 2015

Delayed Gratification

I mourn for the loss of delayed gratification.
When life was simple and choices few.
When waiting for the next ball or picnic races,
Was exciting.
But we can no longer wait and we needn't.
Our pace increases with the loss of each local service.
No longer doing the weekly shop in the local village.
Time is spent travelling the hundreds of kilometres
To the doctor, dentist even the supermarket.
Local sport, entertainment gone.
Wait for the next blockbuster movie to wend its way to the bush?
Download and watch,
Right now.
My back has moulded into the form,
Of my car's drivers seat.
I have a closer relationship with that, than my hiking boots.
It seems these devourers of time,
Give us less opportunity to enjoy,
The rapture of anticipation.


No comments:

Post a Comment