Saturday 21 February 2015

Racking the Currant Wine

My currant wine has stopped,
Bubble, plop, bubbling.
It is now plop .......,
An hour  or so later .........,
Plop!
So time to decant into bottles,
And rack.
I think that means you lay the bottles on a rack?
But it's irrelevant.
So I check the specific gravity.
Have a little quaff.
Mmmmm, but sweet.
Tastes very alcoholic.
Get out the siphoning hose.
Suck, suck, mouthful of ambrosia,
Swallow, suck, put end in the jug.
No pressure just an old man's dribble.
Another try,
Another mouthful.
I can't take much more of this boozy cordial.
Finally find the trick.
Suck with the hose up.
Then drop it down to the low jug.
A gush.
Thank goodness,
I was getting a headache.
Thirty bottles and the merlot grapes aren't even ripe yet.
There's still the cider to press.
And I can't say,
We actually drink very much.




No comments:

Post a Comment