Monday 4 May 2015

Sun - a song composed after three weeks of wet weather on a very long drive.


Too many days I've felt the grey.
I need some sun
To banish it away.

A sky of blue,
And time with you
I need some sun
to get me through

And I want to run barefoot in soft green grass
I want to feel the wind in my hair 
I want to tramp for miles and miles with you by my side
And sleep out in the open air.

But still it rains for days and days
I need some sun
to kill off this disdain

And I want to climb a mountain and yell from the top.
I want to rise up with the dawn.
I want to chatter to you babe till you make me stop.
We'll build a fire to keep us warm.

And I want to look out on a starry night.
I want see the moon in your face.
And I want to feel your heart beating next to mine.
And feel the warmth of your embrace.

When I drive I keep my mind active by writing songs in my head. I sing the lines over and over until I memorise them. Then when I get to my destination I have to record the song before life's busy-ness takes it from me. I do not know if it is the drone of the motor or the rhythm of the tyres on the road surface that inspires, but this is just  how song writing happens for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment